For years people with cancer have worried about, joked about, and been frustrated by the mental cloudiness they sometimes notice before, during, and after cancer treatment. Even though its exact cause isn’t known, and it can happen at any time when you have cancer, this mental fog is commonly called chemo brain.
Here are just a few examples of what patients call chemo brain:
- Forgetting things that they usually have no trouble recalling (memory lapses)
- Trouble concentrating (they can’t focus on what they’re doing, have a short attention span, may “space out”)
- Trouble remembering details like names, dates, and sometimes larger events
- Trouble multi-tasking, like answering the phone while cooking, without losing track of one task
- Taking longer to finish things (disorganized, slower thinking and processing)
- Trouble remembering common words.
Doctors and researchers call chemo brain many things, such as cancer treatment-related cognitive impairment, cancer-therapy associated cognitive change, or post-chemotherapy cognitive impairment. Most define it as a decrease in mental “sharpness”.
Many cancer treatments, including certain kinds of chemo and radiation, can cause short-term, long-term, and delayed problems.
So far, research hasn’t clearly shown whether chemotherapy causes these thought and memory changes. Early studies only tested people after their chemotherapy. These tests showed that people had cognitive impairment. But more recent research has shown that some people with cancer have similar problems before they start any treatment and that the changes may even improve during treatment.
At this point it is important to underline some of Soursop benefits. Soursop is an excellent complement to chemotherapy treatments. Moreover, it can also help reducing the symptoms related to chemotherapy sessions, especially weight loss, hair loss, vomiting, dizziness, and nausea.
There are some tips on how to cope with chemo brain, but, so far there is no known way to prevent chemo brain. For some people, treating their cancer will mean trouble with thinking, memory, planning, and finding the right words.
Stay healthy, be happy!